top of page



Finding a property


The first step is to contact us to provide details about yourself and the accommodation you require, we then search our database for suitable properties for viewing. If not urgent, we log your details so that we can contact you as suitable properties become available. It is wise to start looking about a month before you wish to move, as the better properties are viewed and reserved quickly. Our tenancies are granted for a minimum term of 6 months. We regret that we cannot assist DSS claimants.




Viewings will be arranged at times to suit you, including early evenings and on Saturdays, and you will invariably be accompanied by a member of staff, who can give advice and answer any questions you may have.


Reserving the property


Once you have decided on a property, you will need to reserve it by paying a ‘reservation fee’. If the landlord declines to grant the tenancy due to unsatisfactory references or if you decide not to proceed for any reason, or if you fail to provide complete and accurate information in your application you agree to forfeit this fee.




As a minimum we will require satisfactory references from your employer and a previous or current landlord. We may also require a personal reference, and sometimes a guarantor. In addition a credit check will be undertaken. We may use the services of an independent referencing company to obtain and evaluate these references.




Rents are normally quoted on a calendar month and payable monthly in advance. The tenant is usually also responsible for Council Tax, Water Rates, Gas, Electricity and Telephone costs. All rents are payable by bank standing order to our company bank account.




A security deposit of usually one and a half month’s rental will normally be required. This deposit will be treated in accordance with the Tenancy Deposit Protection regulations, and you will be informed of which protection scheme is utilised. The deposit is held to cover damage, breakages, and any other liabilities under the terms of your tenancy agreement. Please note that under no circumstances can the deposit be used by the tenant to cover rent.




Please call or email us to discuss our current fees. These fees cover administration and referencing costs, applicants who require a guarantor will be charged an additional fee. Please note all applicants who intend to reside at the rented property will need to be checked out and referenced and a further fee is charged to cover this.




The Landlord will ensure that:


Where access is required for routine inspection(s), the tenants receive notification of the date, time and purpose of the visit not less than 24 hours in advance. Save in circumstances where issuance of such notice is impractical and that tenant privacy and entitlement to freedom from unnecessary intrusion is respected.

Business is pursued by the Landlord in a professional, courteous and diligent manner at all times.




Before leaving the house check that all windows and doors are closed. It is the tenant’s responsibility to insure their personal possessions NOT the landlords. Whilst insuring your own possessions you would be wise to include public liability and or accidental damage to the landlords’ fixtures and fittings.




Reporting Repairs


If we are the Managing Agents, your first point of contact is Marden & Son Estates. You should contact us either by telephone, an email or in writing as detailed at the end. When you report your repair please make sure that you give us a daytime contact number. The contractor will contact you and arrange a convenient time to call.


Gas or fumes


If you think that you have a gas leak, can smell gas, or think that you or any of your family is suffering ill effects caused by fumes from a gas appliance, you should take the following actions: If there is a strong smell of Gas IMMEDIATELY CALL a gas engineer. You should:


Put out any cigarettes, don’t light any naked flames (lighters/ matches) and switch off electric fires.

Check that all cooker knobs are turned off.

Check if a pilot light has gone out on a cooker or boiler. If there is a leak turn off the pilot light if you can.

Turn off the gas meter control level - located to the side of your gas meter where the supply comes in.

Do not operate electrical switches or doorbells - either on or off

Do not switch on or off any lights/sockets or appliances

Open your doors and windows to air your home.

Do not use your telephone or mobile telephone. It is possible that either one could cause a spark and ignite any gas in the area.

Do leave your flat/ house and go outside

If the gas smells returns phone a gas engineer and follow the above precautions. Inform Marden & Son Estates as soon as possible about what has happened.


If there is a slight smell of Gas, take the following precautions:


Check that all cooker knobs are turned off.

Check if a pilot light has gone out on a cooker or boiler.

If there is a leak, turn off the pilot light if you can, or turn off the gas supply (the lever is next to the meter)

Put out cigarettes, naked flames and switch off electric fires.

Open your doors and windows to air your home.

Wait until the smell of gas has gone before re-lighting pilot lights.

The possible side effects of exposure to gas fumes include: Headaches, Migraines, Feeling light headed and Nausea.


Burst Pipe


Turn off the Mains water stopcock. This is typically found under the kitchen sink or near the toilet. Turn on all your taps to drain the water in the pipes if water is running down a light fitting switch it off and remove the appropriate fuse from the fuse box. Contact Marden & Son Estates as soon as reasonably practicable.



Ensure you are familiar with the Central Heating System and that there is sufficient heat in the house in cold winter periods to avoid burst pipes. If you go away in the winter leave some heating on and inform Marden & Son Estates of your absence.




If the power to your home and your neighbor’s home suddenly goes off, contact your electricity supplier.


If the power to an appliance goes off check the plug and fuse box.


Note: If you have a key meter remember to check that you have credit.


Landlord’s Repair Responsibilities


The Landlord is responsible for the upkeep of:


The structure of the building

The outside of your home, which includes the communal areas

The plumbing, electrical and heating systems that were originally provided by the Landlord (not including those that you have installed yourself). These include: The roof, drains, gutters and outside pipes, outside walls, doors, window sills, window frames & glass.

Outside painting and decoration Internal walls, skirting boards, doors & door frames, door jambs, thresholds, floors and ceilings (but not internal painting & decorating)

Major internal plasterwork, Flues, chimneys and chimney stacks (but not cleaning the chimneys). Also fences, pathways, boundary walls, steps, ramps and stair-lifts.

Garages and outbuildings (where provided by the Landlord), common entrances, stairways, lifts and lighting Rubbish chutes

Water pipes & tanks, gas pipes and electrical wiring

Electrical sockets and smoke detectors (where fitted by the Landlord), light fittings (but not plugs or other fittings that are not fitted by the Landlord)

Basins, sinks, baths, toilets, flushing systems and waste pipes

Water heaters, boilers, fireplaces, fitted fires and radiators Re-tiling in bathrooms and kitchens.

Please Note: There are certain repairs that if caused by you, a member of your household or a visitor to your home, may result in the Landlord asking you to pay for the cost of making the repair (for instance, broken windows or doors).


Tenant’s Repair Responsibilities


You are responsible for: Internal decoration, minor repairs, maintenance of appliances and fittings installed by you that do not belong to the Landlord (unless the Landlord has agreed to adopt them). This includes:


Painting and decorating of the inside of the property

Altering doors for carpets

Replacing lost or damaged keys (The Landlord will charge you for the actual cost of replacing keys and fobs plus a reasonable cost for their time in doing so)

Repairing small plaster cracks

Replacing electric plugs, fuses & light bulbs

The upkeep of your own garden

Plumbing in your own washing machine

Replacing the toilet seat

Bath and sink plugs.

If repairs are necessary to any of the Landlord’s furniture or fittings, contact Marden & Son Estates immediately. Do not make your own arrangements to have the repairs done as you may have to pay for them and any damage incurred. You should also report repairs to us that are the Landlord’s responsibility to carry out.


Programmed Maintenance


This is work that the Landlord needs to do in order to keep your home and the estate in general good condition. It includes:


Contracts for servicing lifts, boilers, and heating systems

External painting, planned replacement, or the maintenance of certain parts of the building, which may wear out or require servicing (roof tiles, fencing, etc)




Gas Appliances


The Landlord will ensure that:


All means of use and supply of Mains gas and alterations and repairs to gas installation shall comply with the current Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations.

All gas appliances will be serviced annually by a competent Gas Safe registered technician and a record of the safety check will be issued to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and to any new tenant before they take up occupancy

All repairs to gas and supply pipe work and appliances will be carried out by registered Gas Safe fitters.

Electrical Installations and Appliances


The Landlord will ensure that:


All repairs and improvements in electrical installations comply with the current IEE Wiring Regulations.

All components used in electrical wiring installations and repairs comply with the International Standard and all appliances will be installed in accordance with the Manufacturer’s instructions.

All electrical appliances provided by the owner are functioning in accordance with the Manufacturer’s operational limits and are capable of being operated in a safe manner.

Appliances should be visually inspected on a regular basis for wear and tear and in the event of any defects found they will be remedied. In addition a Portable Appliance Test (PAT) should be carried out by a competent electrician at not less than two-year intervals. A record of the PAT should be kept for reference.




When disputes between Landlord and Tenants arise a reasonable and prompt approach in dealing with the issues by both parties is the key to an amicable and effective resolution of the problems. The Landlord will:


Respond reasonably and promptly to tenant or tenant’s representatives in regard to any complaints or difficulties raised by tenants.

Maintain courteous professional relations with tenants during any dispute.





When you wish to terminate the tenancy give Marden & Son Estates written notice as specified in your tenancy agreement. To ensure your deposit is paid back quickly, arrange to have all your bills paid up to date and provide the necessary receipts/proof. Agree with Marden & Son Estates what is required. Remember to cancel your Standing Orders. We will require your written permission for any future references you may require which we are able to provide for an additional fee.



Tenants are issued with clear written guidelines regarding the standard of cleaning and other arrangements for bringing the tenancy to an end. This is to avoid any misunderstandings regarding the standard of cleanliness and condition of the property expected at the end of the tenancy. The deposit will be dealt with in accordance with the relevant tenancy deposit scheme.

Tenants Guide


Step by Step

View our properties

bottom of page